Friday, December 19, 2008

Quilt Inspirations!

Laurie writes:

In November I was in Philadelphia visiting my grandchildren and noticed in the Jewish paper that there was a reception at the Museum of Art for the Gee's Bend Quilts. So I went on a guided tour of these magnificent quilts. The designs are intriguing. The early quilts, used as insulation lining the bare-bones cabins that the slaves lived in, were designs of roof tops and brick layers. Over decades and generations, the women branched out and the design forms became more free-form. See some examples at the following website:

www.auburn.edu/academic/other/geesbend/explore/catalog/slideshow/index.htm

The influence of these quilts will affect some future projects I am planning. Adaptations would be exquisite on my fabric vases, since my first series was mostly about "flowers."

In October I took a class on sewing curves and adding them into a quilt form. The class included construction of a small wall hanging. These techniques will take my sewing in a new direction, incorporating the sewing of curves on a flat surface. The new skills will open a wildly exciting avenue of possibilities.

I have ideas of adding Hebrew words and phrases into my fabric vase construction. I'm working on a fleece quilt for my grandson, and a wall hanging for our condo lobby. I also want to experiment more with the quilt designs that make another layer on top of the fabrics that are sewn together.

Laura Joy Designs

1 comment :

Sparks of Spirit Glass said...

The quilted vases were a hit at our most recent show. They were colorful and well....inspired!

I can hardly wait to see what you come up with next!
I bet you're getting a lot of sewing done while the snow piles up outside.

The gees bend quilts are amazing too and probably stunning in person.

e