Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Hunt

Sabina writes:

I'm pretty much wedded to using Arches l40 lb cold pressed paper, made in France, for my watercolors. There's something fundamental in my nature that says, "when you find something of quality, stick with it".

That said, I'm always on the hunt for stretching my boundaries and exploring. In the case of my watercolors, this hunt usually takes me in search of new and interesting papers. Often I'm disappointed with the way the new paper receives the color and the way it behaves under my corrections.


But I still search, enjoying the actual hunt as much as the "find", when it appears. The other day, at Goodwill of all places, I found two bound books of handmade paper..... rough and replete with textural variations, beautiful uneven edges, works of art in and of themselves. I can't wait to try them!


2 comments :

estherbeads said...

The "hunt" is half the fun with beading! But sometimes I forget what I've previously learned... about mail-order. That's where the disappointments sometimes happen. We live and learn, and then learn again!

Sparks of Spirit Glass said...

I appreciate hearing about the "paper chase", Sabina.

It's the same story in glass. I'm always in search of new colors, new styles, new textures, new magic!

I don't know much about watercolors but your explanation helps me understand that there is more to a painting than "simple" techniques and paint. Paper can make all the difference.

When you get back from your trip perhaps you can bring some samples of different papers and the effects you are able to achieve. Perhaps the other water color artists in our group could do the same.
A "show and tell" opportunity!

Have a great trip to Hawaii! Enjoy the sunshine!!!!