Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Day of Art

It was a wonderful day, full of art, music, and celebration. First we all attended the Bat Mitzvah of Diane's daughter, Emma. What an experience! The congregation does almost the whole service in song, and the "regulars" do all sorts of beautiful harmonies. I loved it! And then the visual... they meet in a church, but have all sorts of cool textile hangings to bring about a Jewish environment. Of course, there were some very recognizable hand-painted silk items!! And then there was Emma... what an impressive girl! Most kids don't take on that much material in their drash, nor at such a serious level. But she took it on, and handled it well! I was very impressed. That girl is gonna go places!

After the service, there was a lovely lunch reception, and we had a great time playing Jewish Geography with people at our table.

Then the ORA women piled into Eddy's van, and headed over to Art In The Pearl. We weren't there to shop, but just to look. It was fun to analyze how various artists had set up their displays, and also to watch the reactions of the crowds to some of them. Of course, I tend to reach overload pretty quickly, but still got some good ideas. And they have a full weekend of live music there too. I even got to listen to some Balkan music... have I ever mentioned how much I like Balkan music?

But I digress. If you didn't get to Art In The Pearl this year, definitely go next year. It's always on Labor day. These are high-class artists, and it's fascinating to see both the art and the people. Here's their website: www.artinthepearl.com

And if you DID go this year, click on Comments, and share your observations!

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Leslie commented: I enjoyed Art in the Pearl, but I did note that there were no watercolor painters in the show! I also felt that some of the paintings shown had a somewhat slick, commercial quality. Guess that's what sells!