Thursday, September 11, 2008

23 Vessels of Love

Eddy Shuldman writes:
A little over a week ago I completed my largest commission to date. In late May a friend asked me to make 20 blue wedding bowls that could be used as table centerpieces for her daughter’s wedding. The bowls are 15” in diameter and have the Hebrew word for love “Ahavah” in the center using dichroic glass letters. Her plan was to fill them with water and float candles in them. It became clear that given the size of my kiln and owning only one large bowl mold, I’d have to make a second shaped vessel and we agreed on an 11” square origami dish.

Then I broke my leg! I had plans to go to Europe and so I went. Upon my return I moved into production mode although my leg created a few obstacles in the process.

So what did I learn?
• It is possible to travel in Europe on crutches!
• Crutches force one to become more creative
• I am no longer excited by blue glass. I’m sure that will pass!
• Production work is NOT what I want to do.
• Variations on a theme allow you some sanity and provoke creativity.
• Mass production requires planning, organization and a commitment to get the job done.
• It probably sounds a little “woo-woo” but the glass really seems to flow when I stay focused on the spiritual side of my work. I think about the recipient, I try to “feel” the movement in the glass and suddenly the work just “comes.”

Best of all, I learned how to apply this last skill to being more efficient and economical in my work as I now prepare for our Celebration of Art show in October.
Oh yeah....and no more more crutches!!!!!! yay!

--
Eddy Shuldman
SPARKS OF SPIRIT Glass
www.northwestjewishartists.org/eddy.html

3 comments :

Esther said...

So, how do I get invited to this wedding? I really want to see all these vessels in one place!!

Sparks of Spirit Glass said...

i didn't get to see it either!
i've been promised a picture.
I should add that so many guests sent in rsvps that three extra tables had to be set, thus the 23 rather 20 vessels.
eddy

Anonymous said...

Eddy:I give you a lot of credit for agreeing to do this kind of production. As you know, artists are "CREATIVE" and when we are asked to do a massive production of something, it becames difficult to be able to make them all look the same. Kol Hakavod!!
Love,
Keep the CREATIVITY FLOWING.
Rosana