Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Start As You Mean To Go

When we complete a significant project or process, we often say the "Shehechiyanu" blessing. But we don't really have a prayer for beginning the project. There's a prayer for a safe journey, but it really doesn't fit. I asked a Rabbi friend, who suggested that one might say their own prayer, and/or make a charitable donation to coincide with starting a project.

So I'm pondering what would be a good prayer to say when I begin a new project of significant size. And since I love to hear from other people, I'm putting the question out to YOU: do you have a special prayer or ritual when you start a project? Especially a work of art? What about when you finish? Just click "Comments" below, and share with us.

2 comments :

Sparks of Spirit Glass said...

“Praised be the One who makes us able to create and enjoy works of beauty.”
This is the prayer Rosana shared with us at our 2nd mtg. We put it on our poster and I like using it or variations of this

While making a project I will also sing a niggun (wordless melody or chant something that I feel will create a blessing with in the piece.

Esther said...

I ended up adapting an existing prayer... Y'hiyu l'ratzon ma'asei yadai v'hegyon libi l'fanecha, adonai tzuri v'go'ali.
(May the works of my hands and the meditations of my heart fulfill your wishes, oh God my rock and my salvation.)

And I put a dollar in the Tzedakah box.