Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Seeking Perfection?

My artwork has generally been very precise, usually symetrical, with an emphasis on perfection. I am very picky about the quality of stitch, thread tension, color palette, bead quality, etc., and I tear out stitches any time I'm not satisfied.

So it was a big leap out of my comfort zone when I took on "free-form sculptural" beadwork. I love it, it's fascinating, it's exciting to do. But I still take a perfectionist approach, and tear out sections I'm not satisfied with. Is this an insistence on quality, or just anal-retentiveness?





How do you approach your art? Is it precise, or is it more casual? Can it be both? Talk to me!

1 comment :

Sparks of Spirit Glass said...

Esther,
There is so much junk out there that passes for art. It's why the C-word (craft) is a bad word these days. Crafts has become synonymous with "crap"
You care about every piece you create. The quality is evident and that is why your craft is a fine craft and qualifies as art!