Saturday, May 11, 2013

JAM goes to Hillsboro Oregon!




Blessings and Bounty
An art exhibit by Barbara E. Berger — 26 of her photographs with blessings
RoseSprings Center Gallery, Hillsboro Oregon, May – June 29, 2013
When I visited my grandparents as a small child, I learned traditional Jewish prayers and blessings.  They expected me to express a ritual appreciation for what I received; drinking a glass of water, washing my hands, going to sleep  . . . my days with them became a series of events infused with reciting Hebrew blessings and prayers.  Small acts became sacred and meaningful:  an appreciation and connection with something bigger than myself.  I became more aware of the significance of the small moment, the small thing.  It changed me.
Those lessons of gratitude inform my experience even today.  With my camera, I try to capture moments that show the beauty and bounty of life; I want to offer appreciation for my experiences.  I offer the images in this show as a few, small examples of inspirations in my life, along with some traditional Jewish blessings of gratitude that I learned from my grandparents.   I wonder . . . are your traditions or practices similar in any way?             


A member of “ORA,” a Northwest Jewish Artists collective, Barbara has exhibited the last four years in its annual autumn juried show, “Celebration of Life,” in Portland.  Her photography has also appeared in local juried shows of the Geezer Gallery, Art on Broadway, and in ArtSpark.  Other venues include local fairs and exhibits held by the Portland Rose Society, Toastmasters, Neveh Shalom Congregation, Mittleman’s Jewish Community Center, Hadassah, the Oregon Liquor Control Commission, Mensa, and the Oregon Writers Colony.  She is delighted now to show at Rose Springs.
http://rosespringscenter.com/articles/a130430.php
http://rosespringscenter.com/artgallery.php
 
RoseSprings Healing Center
5215 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Ste A
Hillsboro OR 97124
503-693-9101
9 AM-7PM Mon-Fri, 9AM-2PM Sat. 
Show is through June 29, 2013

No comments :