Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sweet Struggle

Sabina Wohlfeiler writes:

Sometimes I ask myself, "Why bother stepping out of my artistic comfort zone? Why not just continue to develop my voice using the imagery and materials that suit me best (intimate views/ watercolor)?" Whenever I'm in the grip of that sweet struggle of bumping up against artistic brick walls, as I was a week ago, I revisit these questions.

It had been almost a decade since I last took a workshop at Menucha, offered by the Creative Arts Community (now in their 46th year of operation). That one was welding, and I was WAY out of my comfort zone, jumping and screaming every time I turned on the tanks. (I did, however, produce two sculptural pieces that I adore!)

This time I set myself a dual challenge: learn to use pastels successfully, and conquer my frustration with landscapes (what do I include in the composition? what do I edit out?). I knew that Marla Baggetta , a master pastel artist with a gentle spirit, would be the perfect guide. And the beautiful gorge setting at Menucha would provide more than enough inspiration. So I was ready!

However, four of the five days were exercises in frustration! Marla's demos were wonderful, the weather superb, the classmates supportive, and yet I could not produce anything of worth. Finally, on the fifth day, I got it! I worked small, on toned paper, and merely suggested forms. Marla walked by, liked what she saw, and made sure I stopped! "Go on to another one!", she insisted. At the end of the day, I had FIVE successful pieces!

Was it worth it? Most definitely. I'm so pleased to look at these pieces and savor the success of meeting my goals, however painful it was to get there!!


6 comments :

Sparks of Spirit Glass said...

Sabina!
This is just wonderful! I understand the fear of stepping outside your comfort zone...but I also have experienced the power of it....and this new piece is powerful. It is definitely a part of your voice but unlike anything I have seen you create. Just wonderful!!!!! I hope to see the this and the others at the celebration of Art Show in October. Keep up the wrk...it is worth it!

estherbeads said...

The other day a few of us were talking about that nervous, uncomfortable feeling that comes with stepping out of the Comfort Zone. We were talking about how to make it feel less scary. But as I read your piece, I think maybe the answer is more like Meet It Head On, and embrace it!

Thank you for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Sabina,
This is wonderful!!!! Bring your pastels to Mexico!!!!!
Love,
Kit

Leslie said...

I am glad you had such a great experience. It's such a challenge to work in a new medium. I have always loved Marla's work. That's great you had the opportunity to take a workshop with her!

Walt and Weeze said...

How wonderful to see your work evolve, and live a bit of the struggle vicariously. You never rest on your oars for long. When do we get to see the others?

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to seeing your latest work at the next show!