Monday, September 20, 2010

Meet Marcie Stone



MARCIE STONE will be a featured guest artists at our Celebration of Art 2010. Look for her booth in the MJCC Ballroom, October 24th from 10am-4pm.

HERE IS HER BIO!
Born and raised in New York City I spent my early years haunting some of the world’s finest museums. The American Museum of Natural History in particular has had a great influence on my art. In the early 1970's I moved to Oakland, California to study textiles at The California College of Arts and Crafts. I graduated in 1974 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts.
In 1978 I moved to San Diego, CA. I spent the next several years focusing on exploring the use of beadwork on pine needle baskets. Through the years sculptural seed beadwork has become central to my work. The following years were spent exploring sculptural peyote stitch over armatures and as jewelry pieces.
In 1979 I opened the Shepherdess in San Diego, CA. The Shepherdess began as a fiber and weaving store but quickly evolved into a gallery style bead store. The Shepherdess was one of the first bead stores in the country to offer classes taught by national and international instructors drawing students from throughout the US. I sold the Shepherdess in August of 2006.
Since 2004, Greg (my husband) and I have been combining our creative energies. Our skill sets and creative visions intertwine beautifully allowing pieces to develop as one idea seamlessly merges into another.
Working with Greg’s glass, a palette of seed beads, semiprecious and antique beads in assorted sizes and shapes I begin to make spontaneous choices that evolve into a biomorphic synthesis of colors and textures. I am fascinated with the way the different beads play against each other, allowing me to create jeweled encrustations influenced by primitive art and organic forms mainly found in the ocean. The pieces are very organic and seem to have a life of their own.
My work has been exhibited both nationally and internationally. Among the venues my work has been exhibited at are: the Museum of Art and Design, New York City; the Ohio Craft Museum, Columbus, Ohio; the Musée National des Arts et Tradition Populaires, Paris, France; and the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, Tokyo, Japan.

www.hanson-stone.com/



2 comments :

estherbeads said...

Marcie was influential in my development as a beader. I am so honored to have her in our show!

Sparks of Spirit Glass said...

I keep forgetting to take Fran's picture. Fran is Marcie's Mom .She is a remarkable beader and one great lady!