Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What Diane is Doing

You asked what I've been up to.... I had a commission to make a tallit 6 feet long and 4-1/2 feet wide. I was up for the challenge because I figure that whatever G-d sends my way, is not more then I can handle. I tried to make it and failed two times. I went through loads of silk and a lot of stress mixed with a lack of self confidence which is something I tend to struggle with from time to time.

Then came two more orders for oversized tallitot so I decided to figure this bad boy out. The big professional steamer (which is part of my color securing processing) from a company would cost about $1,200. Although I realize you have to spend money to make money......we have one child in braces, one ready to get braces and one Bat Mitzvah coming up!!!! Choices. So I called an engineer friend of mine who looked at the professional one and said he would build me one for a heck of a lot less -- and did. It works GREAT.


The other thing I did right before Passover this year was to gift Rabbis Lori and Gary of Gesher a painting, on canvas, to help decorate their tent. I just love all the work they do for the Jewish community and felt I wanted to give them soothing. They suggested a painting because it gets wet out there. I have never painted on canvas. It was huge, as I never do things the easy way or ease into something. The finished piece is 8 ft. x 3 ft. As with many of my pieces, the colors chosen have deeper meaning. Anyhow....they were happy, or so they said!!!!!

This summer I am going to have some pieces in the Kallah that is happening in Bend the July 4th weekend. (I will not be attending because we are taking a trip back east). I also have six tallit orders in the works, our show coming up October 12 ----not to mention running 6 weeks of Art Waves Summer camps held for kids at St. Marks on Terwilliger Blvd. Oh yeah, and my daughter's Bat Mitzvah this fall.... whew!!

3 comments :

Lynn Dorman, Ph.D. said...

Diane - I am impressed! Can't wait to see you at the October show

Sparks of Spirit Glass said...

Diane,
Your work always rocks.... !
It seems like the more you have to do, the more you get done.

I appreciate hearing about the frustrations of your work but even more so your refusal to let a problem hold you back. Problem solver should be your middle name.

You are inspiration to the rest of us!
eddy

silk tallit said...

: it must be a natural material such as wool, silk, cotton or linen, and it cannot mix linen and wool ...